Friday, July 20, 2012

A Funny Thing Happened at the Park

So yeah, the weirdest thing happened to me today.  There there I was at the park, stopping for lunch in between job interviews.  There is is a woman feeding a flock of pigeons by a a fountain, kids playing in the park, bored housewives complaining about their oh-so-hard lives, that sort of regular park thing.

(Nasty birds, pigeons.  Disease-carrying flying rats.  Ugh.  And don't get me started on kids.)

Then a man man walks by, doing one of those funky old-lady mall-walking gaits.  The one where they swing their arms like they've got sacks of rocks tied to their hands and they will clean your clock if you try to get between them and the Orange Julius.  He's nodding his head with with the beat, and I can hear his music.  Only, it's not just a beat.  It's a lively, pop, upbeat tune set to crying.

Not wailing like a a kid just broke his arm crying, but a soft, barely there sobbing.  And there he was, bopping along, with a smile on his face face! 

Me, I'm frozen.  I'm wondering what kind of of sicko music this is.  He passes me and I guess I'm giving him a a weird look because he's busy glaring at me instead of watching where he's going.  He runs right through the flock of birds, who of course do their usual bird bird thing and fly all helter-skelter, squawking and crapping everywhere.  The lady feeding them starts bitching the guy out for driving her "pets" away.

I got the hell out of there and went straight to my apartment.  Totally bailed on the interview, but I can't bring myself to care.  Now, I'm sure my mind was just playing tricks on me, but then...  You just don't forget that kind of heart-broken sobbing.  It pulls at a string deep inside you and tells you someone is suffering.  And worst of all, you can't help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment